[Cialug] Tasks for learning shell scripting

Josh More MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Sep 29 08:43:29 CDT 2010

For one-on-one tutoring, toss them one of the books mentioned earlier in the thread and then work with them on ways to automate their personal workflow.  If they use Gnome, work with them to write nautilus scripts or custom session managers.  Work your way up to more complex things like custom startup scripts for specific "daemons" (like every time the machine turns on, launch an irc client as a screen session and connect it to the key channels).

Let them drive the direction.

Avoid the Posix focus.  Let them get the job done as quickly as possible and let them shoot themselves in the foot as quickly as possible.  The harder you make it to learn, the more resistant your mentee will be to learning.  This is why I maintain that Perl is the absolute best first language to learn.  In the shell world, this would be Bash.

-Josh More, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, GIAC-GCIH, RHCE, NCLP
morej at alliancetechnologies.net
515-245-7701