[Cialug] Tasks for learning shell scripting

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Sep 29 08:35:00 CDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Josh More
<MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
> Who is the curriculum for?
>
> Newbies in college, professionals transferring from Windows, employees at Canonical?

I know someone who wants to learn about scripting. An experienced
computer user with Windows and Linux but just wants to go in a little
deeper.

My original intention was to teach using a posix only shell because
I've gotten myself into trouble when not using a modern Linux
distribution (Solaris). Also, Debian based distros have stopped using
bash as /bin/sh because it significantly slows down boot speed,
instead they use dash, a posix shell that loads much quicker. (but
they use bash for the interactive shell still)

Do you agree that my reasoning for using a posix shell is wise or is
it really negligible and I should take the easy road of bash? And on
the heals of that, if someone uses standard posix methods that skill
works perfectly in bash, right?

--
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin