[Cialug] resume assistance

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 09:48:33 CDT 2010

At UNI, HR accepts the incoming resumes, and compare them to the list of
requirements. They reject anyone that does not appear to meet the minimum
qualifications -- so if you do not word things carefully, while you might be
qualified, if HR does not understand that, the resume does not even make it
to the search committee. The committees I have served on only got to see the
resumes of those people meeting the minimum qualifications -- in the eyes of
HR.

Jeff

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley
<daniel.ramaley at drake.edu>wrote:

> On 2010-08-31 at 18:28:19, Andrew Vick wrote:
> >I've been worrying about the HR people who receive the resumes -- the
> >ones who don't know the tech, but are just going off of a list of
> >requirements that someone else gave them.
>
> As a side question about corporate culture, how large of companies have
> clueless HR people do the hiring? I occasionally hear allusions to this,
> but it is not what i've experienced.
>
> The places i've worked usually form a committee consisting of the
> manager and coworkers of the open position, in other words, the people
> most qualified to know what qualifications they need. That committee
> reviews all the cover letters & resumes and picks a couple candidates to
> interview. HR is involved in the beginning to approve the job
> description that is publicized and then publicizing it, and again at the
> end of the process to make sure the new employee gets all the necessary
> paperwork filled out. But the middle part, actually selecting someone to
> hire, is done by the people who know what their team needs. I've spent
> most of my career either in academia or at fairly small companies
> though. I've only worked for a large company once, and then got to skip
> the normal hiring process because i was friends with my manager, who
> asked me to come work for the company.
>
> --
> Daniel A. Ramaley
> Network Engineer 2
>
> Dial Center 118, Drake University
> 2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
> Tel: +1 515 271-4540
> Fax: +1 515 271-1938
> E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu

Jeff Chapin
President, CedarLug, retired
President, UNIPC, "I'll get around to it"
President, UNI Scuba Club
Senator, NISG, retired