[Cialug] resume assistance

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Wed Sep 1 10:04:44 CDT 2010

On 9/1/2010 8:34 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> On 2010-08-31 at 18:28:19, Andrew Vick wrote:
>> I've been worrying about the HR people who receive the resumes -- the
>> ones who don't know the tech, but are just going off of a list of
>> requirements that someone else gave them.
>
> As a side question about corporate culture, how large of companies have
> clueless HR people do the hiring? I occasionally hear allusions to this,
> but it is not what i've experienced.

Context: I billed myself as a consulting software engineer available to
solve (nasty) problems, and that was what I wanted to be paid for - not
for the number of hours I spent grinding out code. I built up a history
of providing first-class solutions and that was the 'product' I offered.

I have and, when contacted by HR types, made a point of asking if they'd
discussed me with project management. If not, I declined to speak
further until they had.

This sounds counter-productive but actually was an effective filter for
those HR types (and body-shop types) who were fumbling around in the
dark and willing to waste people's time (indicating a business culture
in which mutual respect is not a significant component).

--
Morris Dovey
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/