[Cialug] resume assistance

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Wed Sep 1 08:34:32 CDT 2010

On 2010-08-31 at 18:28:19, Andrew Vick wrote:
>I've been worrying about the HR people who receive the resumes -- the
>ones who don't know the tech, but are just going off of a list of
>requirements that someone else gave them.

As a side question about corporate culture, how large of companies have
clueless HR people do the hiring? I occasionally hear allusions to this,
but it is not what i've experienced.

The places i've worked usually form a committee consisting of the
manager and coworkers of the open position, in other words, the people
most qualified to know what qualifications they need. That committee
reviews all the cover letters & resumes and picks a couple candidates to
interview. HR is involved in the beginning to approve the job
description that is publicized and then publicizing it, and again at the
end of the process to make sure the new employee gets all the necessary
paperwork filled out. But the middle part, actually selecting someone to
hire, is done by the people who know what their team needs. I've spent
most of my career either in academia or at fairly small companies
though. I've only worked for a large company once, and then got to skip
the normal hiring process because i was friends with my manager, who
asked me to come work for the company.

--
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 118, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu