[Cialug] SECURITY - Infragard Meeting

Josh More MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net
Fri Oct 15 13:06:21 CDT 2010

As promised earlier, here are the details about the Infragard meeting focusing on business and security.  If you are interested in security, this is the meeting to be at.

(Hope no one minds my using the list this way.  The Meta User Group list never seemed to take off.)

As a reminder, on October 27th, Infragard is holding our annual meeting at FBL Financial Group, 5400 University Ave, West Des Moines, IA.

Everything is in order and it's looking great.

Over the years, it's become apparent that our mission of improving everyone's security through working together and sharing information has one core problem – there there is a communication gap between those of us who understand security and those in a position to approve security projects. This meeting aims to close that gap.  With an emphasis on security “soft skills”, you will learn how to identify communication issues and resolve them.

These skills will enable you to win a greater percentage of the budget for your projects, communicate your goals with management (and identify theirs), and get your organization working together and moving in the same direction.  These skills are also useful for the un- and under-employed, as they will help you communicate with existing and prospective managers.

By the end of this training day, you will be in a much better position to in your security fights.  For more specific information, please see the agenda at http://www.iowainfragard.org/docs/InfragardFallMeeting-2010.pdf .

As was mentioned in previous communication, we will be charging for this meeting.  Infragard funding is pretty much at zero these days, so if we wish to continue as an organization, we have to either charge for meetings, collect dues or have high sponsor fees.  At this time, attendance is too low to raise the sponsor fees by much, and feel that collecting dues would result in inequalities for our more rural members.  The most fair solution seems to be charging at the annual meeting so that those who benefit the most share the majority of the costs.

We are doing the best we can to keep costs low, and will only be charging $30 for Infragard and ISSA members (others must pay $45).  If this seems high to you, be aware that other self-funding Infragard chapters in the Midwest charge $75 to $150 for their annual conferences.  In exchange for your $30, you get a full day training/workshop session aimed at your professional improvement, included lunch and 8 continuing credit hours (certificates available upon request).

We recognize that this may be a burden for some of our members, so we have set aside some money from the group's account to cover memberships for four members.  If you are unemployed or otherwise feel that attending this meeting would be a significant financial hardship for you, please contact me off-list.  We will draw names, lottery style, one week prior to the meeting so everyone involved can plan accordingly.  Please, only enter the drawing if you are in need.  We'd like to make this as effective as possible to our members in need.

In order to best manage lunch, RSVPs are helpful.  You can RSVP by prepaying using the form at http://www.iowainfragard.org/ or by replying to this email (off list) and indicating that you'll be paying at the door.  Lunch options will be a mix of: Ham and American, Turkey and Swiss, Beef and Cheddar, Tuna or Egg salad

I know that this is a big change for some people, so if you have any concerns, please feel free to contact me off list and I will do my best to allay your concerns.

Please pass this on to other organizations that may be interested in attending.

Thank you,

Lee Weers
641-780-7166

-Josh More, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, GIAC-GCIH, RHCE, NCLP
morej at alliancetechnologies.net
515-245-7701