[Cialug] decreasing website latency

Tom Pohl tom at tcpconsulting.com
Mon Nov 22 23:57:32 CST 2010

I haven't had a chance to use EC2's ssl load balancing so I can't speak to their features or performance. It certainly is a cost effective way to try it out!

I do know that the kemp boxes can do 1000 - 10,000 transactions per second depending on the model. I routinely push 7-10MB of SSL web traffic through it all day long.

Looking at last Monday's stats, we pushed about 40GB of traffic in 575,000 pages (just over 4,000,000 total hits including all images, js includes, css, etc) and ~12,000 unique users with 90% of traffic between 7am and 7pm.

Also, looking at the SSL handshake, here are our numbers:

I'm not sure if it is because of the Ciphers chosen or mainly because it's a single root cert, but those numbers are even lower than Google's ssl handshake. I'm probably going to be really disappointed the next time I purchase a cert because I don't think anyone offers a single root cert now that all CAs are going to 2048 bit.

-Tom