[Cialug] decreasing website latency

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Nov 4 13:01:52 CDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Tom Pohl <tom at tcpconsulting.com> wrote:

> Matt, you got me thinking this morning that I *just* read an article about
> this very topic and it was driving me nuts that I couldn't find it. It was a
> link posted by @ioerror on twitter and I finally found it!
>
> http://www.imperialviolet.org/2010/06/25/overclocking-ssl.html
>
> Thanks!
> -Tom

Great article, there is a follow up that Chris on IRC sent at
http://journal.paul.querna.org/articles/2010/07/10/overclocking-mod_ssl/

Between the two I have made some tweaks to my SSL configuration that has
lowered the response time for remote connections by a good bit:

Time per request:       302.624 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       302.624 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)

from:
Time per request:       347.496 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       347.496 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)

Because an extra certificate was getting sent causing the request size to
exceed 4KB. The diff is about exactly one ping. It had no affect on the time
when doing the test on localhost.