[Cialug] decreasing website latency

Matthew Steven matthew at geniusweb.com
Thu Nov 4 11:20:21 CDT 2010

On 11/04/2010 10:49 AM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> In your experience, does using Ngninx on mostly dynamic sites provide
> any benefit? I've noticed the memory footprint is quite low compared
> to Apache but I've got very very limited experience using it for
> dynamic content.

I've been able to do much more with less having nginx serve the static
and apache serve almost all the dynamic. You can also put nginx in front
as a reverse proxy and have it serve sessionless dynamic content for
further resource savings. Check their site for benchmarks etc to see if
it will work for you, I have not used it to accelerate ssl. If you do
try it for that let me know how it goes!

Something you probably already know, but just in case: an easy way to
get more content pipelined into the browser at once is to alias several
hostnames (img1.foo.net, css1.foo.net) to serve your images and other
stuff. As long as the domain is different, web browsers will open two
connections to each without tying up. Otherwise it will try to suck
everything through the double concurrency straw.

--
Matthew Steven
http://www.geniusweb.com/