[Cialug] decreasing website latency

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Nov 4 09:35:26 CDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Matthew Steven <matthew at geniusweb.com>wrote:

> Unless your server is very weak on hardware and/or network resources it
> should be faster than that.
>
> 'ab' can give you a more realistic idea of real page performance though.
> Running 'ab' to fetch my mythweb page across the lan 1000 times took 0.028
> seconds, average time per request being around 0.284ms. And that's a weak
> piece of special-purpose hardware.
>
> The "page speed" firebug extension is also handy to view a page in detail.
>
> You could use a SSL accelerator card or appliance if you are certain that
> there are no more things you can do on the server to speed up your page. Is
> deflate enabled for html content? Did you verify that xcache is working
> properly? Does it get faster on the second load?

Great tips. It looks like for my SSL content on this server I'm at about
350ms unless something can be done on the server side. I'm currently in dev
mode and my staging server is on the weak side. I will look at this more
closely when I'm ready to go live.

I will give nginx a try but on my staging server I'm skeptical that running
nginx + apache will help much. Maybe if I use nginx + fastcgi (no apache).

What kinds of latency do you think is realistic from a good server doing
SSL? Maybe 350ms is the norm?

--
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin