[Cialug] decreasing website latency

Matthew Steven matthew at geniusweb.com
Thu Nov 4 10:17:43 CDT 2010

On 11/04/2010 09:35 AM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> What kinds of latency do you think is realistic from a good server
> doing SSL? Maybe 350ms is the norm?

Benching a simple dynamically generated XML feed on one of my sites over
SSL on a live server, I'm getting the following using a brief benchmark
of 'ab -n 100 -c 5'

Time per request:       170.048 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       34.010 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)

There's no caching or anything involved, other than opcode.  It's a
pretty new and ballsy machine though, so it may not be a fair comparison
from that aspect.

I was surprised to find that using nginx for all the static content made
a huge difference in the memory footprint overall, since this way one
can reduce the number of apache threads a great deal and use apache only
for serving php.

Look at it this way: why would you want a fully loaded down apache
thread with its big php modules and a dozen other things you may or may
not be using serving up an image, when you can have a microscopic nginx
service serving it with very little resource usage. In any given page
these days, 80% of the requests are going to be for external resources
like images and text anyhow.

Oh, and you'll want to have munin or some other decent monitor installed
to actually be able to tell if what you're doing helps or harms once it
is out there.

--
Matthew Steven
http://www.geniusweb.com/