[Cialug] decreasing website latency

Matthew Steven matthew at geniusweb.com
Thu Nov 4 09:13:39 CDT 2010

Unless your server is very weak on hardware and/or network resources it
should be faster than that.

'ab' can give you a more realistic idea of real page performance though.
Running 'ab' to fetch my mythweb page across the lan 1000 times took
0.028 seconds, average time per request being around 0.284ms. And that's
a weak piece of special-purpose hardware.

The "page speed" firebug extension is also handy to view a page in detail.

You could use a SSL accelerator card or appliance if you are certain
that there are no more things you can do on the server to speed up your
page. Is deflate enabled for html content? Did you verify that xcache is
working properly? Does it get faster on the second load?

--
Matthew Steven
http://www.geniusweb.com/