[Cialug] Evaluating productivity

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon May 10 11:28:08 CDT 2010

Hi, I'd like to look for ways to make me more productive while at my
keyboard. I guess specifically at the command line. Sometimes I get
frustrated with a task that I think takes too long and ask for help and get
great response. But what about all those things that only make me a little
less efficient, but not enough to bug me?

In code there are profilers that inspect program execution and highlight
repeating tasks that are inefficient. Is there anything like that for the
commandline? Maybe I could run it over my .bash_history file or it could
watch me type.

By the way, what got me thinking about this was last-weeks coding dojo where
I was paired with someone who knew some vim keyboard shortcuts I didn't
know. That event rocked on so many levels.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought."
–Matsuo Bashō