[Cialug] Evaluating productivity

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Mon May 10 12:57:48 CDT 2010

On 5/10/2010 11:28 AM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> In code there are profilers that inspect program execution and
> highlight repeating tasks that are inefficient. Is there anything
> like that for the commandline? Maybe I could run it over my
> .bash_history file or it could watch me type.

This article shows how to analyze your bash history and talks about
creating Bash aliases/functions to minimize typing.

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/01/whats_in_your_bash_history.html

I've found lots of good command line tips at
http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/browse/sort-by-votes

A few of my favorite commands
"cd -" to change to the previous working directory
"ALT+." to insert the argument of the last command

I've got a few Bash aliases that save me some typing, modified my prompt
to show useful information (current branch). Replaced diff with
colordiff and use ack instead of grep. Still need to investigate custom
bash completion.

Also checkout j. http://github.com/rupa/j j keeps track of which
directories you use often and then instead of using cd to go to the
directory, you can use j and then type a substring of the path and jump
to that directory.

Eric