[Cialug] Blog / CMS with ability to intermix static pages and blogs in menu

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Mar 31 10:16:07 CDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 09:42 -0500, Claus wrote:
> I'm looking to create/update my website and I'm looking for blogging/CMS
> systems that might do what I want.  Unfortunately, I have certain
> features in my mind that I want it to be able to support.  I'd
> appreciate to get recommendation of some that you know can do what I want.

If it must do it just like you said you're probably going to get pushed
to one of the more advanced CMS tools like Drupal (though there are
others, I'll list a few below.

In Drupal, you do most of the work with contributed modules. For
example, a wysiwyg is not included in Drupal 6, you have to add the
tinymce and wysiwyg api modules. It is a pain in the butt. However, the
beauty is you can use the views module to create very advanced pages
that mix your static and dynamic content.

Here are some others to look at:

 * Silver stripe CMS http://www.silverstripe.com/
 * Concrete 5 http://www.concrete5.org/
 * Typo 3 http://www.typo3.com/

However, if you can make wordpress work for your needs by possibly
changing some of your requirements, it is a truly exceptional tool that
makes life easy. The Blog features in many of the other systems are not
as good as wordpress. And you may be able to find a ready-made function
that modifies the "loop" (http://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop) to do
what you want.

There is a drupal user's group in Ames at groups that has a message
board at http://groups.drupal.org/iowa and people there are usually very
helpful. If you want to pursue the drupal thing, definitely take
advantage of it.

Matt