[Cialug] Blog / CMS with ability to intermix static pages and blogs in menu

Claus cniesen at gmx.net
Wed Mar 31 09:42:35 CDT 2010

I'm looking to create/update my website and I'm looking for blogging/CMS
systems that might do what I want.  Unfortunately, I have certain
features in my mind that I want it to be able to support.  I'd
appreciate to get recommendation of some that you know can do what I want.

For one it should be simple to use (and maintain).  A WYSIWYG editor to
create content and allows easy embedding of images.  Some pages will be
static and some will be blogs.  I.e. I might have a "Hobbies" menu item
with "Hiking" and "Bicycling" as a sub menu.  The each sub menu would
have several static pages (i.e. "My Gear", "List of Campgrounds", etc)
and one (or more) blogs "My Hikes" / "My Bike Rides".  The front/home
page should have the ability to show the most recent posts, regardless
under what they were filed as a summary (or something similar) along
with a little bit of static text.  It would also be desirable to have an
RSS feed that encompasses all topics as well as topic specific RSS
feeds.  Keywords and keyword search on blog postings would be nice as well.

The editor of Wordpress looks good and overall is easy to use.  With
Wordpress one can categorize blog postings and with themes force the
categories under a menu items.  However, it seems that static pages and
blog pages are under different menu hierarchies and can't be intermixed
as i like it to be.

I also took a peek at Drupal but it's anything but easy to setup.  I
have concerns that it is overly complicated and not easy to use.  There
are many more candidates out there like Joomla but I am hoping not to
have to learn each of them just to determine if it can support my
desires.  So I'd appreciate some feedback if you know about them.

Thanks,
   Claus

An example of the site layout.

0 Home Page (static & latest post overview)
1 About (static)
1.1 Me (static)
1.2 Spouse (static)
1.3 Kid (static)
2 Hobbies (static)
2.1 Hiking (static)
2.1.1 My Hiking Gear (static)
2.1.2 My Hikes (blog)
2.1.2.1 Ledges (blog entry)
2.1.2.2 Backbone State Park (blog entry)
2.1.2.3 Mount Everest (blog entry)
2.1.3 Cool Hiking Links (static)
2.2 Bicycling (static)
2.1.1 My Bicycle (static)
2.1.2 My Rides (blog)
2.1.2.1 Neal Smith Trail (blog entry)
2.1.2.2 Heart of Iowa Trail (blog entry)
2.1.2.3 Riding around Town (blog entry)
2.1.3 Neat Cycling Links (static)
3 Friends (static)