[Cialug] Blog / CMS with ability to intermix static pages and blogs in menu

Claus cniesen at gmx.net
Wed Mar 31 17:05:15 CDT 2010

On 3/31/2010 10:16 AM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 09:42 -0500, Claus wrote:
>> I'm looking to create/update my website and I'm looking for blogging/CMS
>> systems that might do what I want.  Unfortunately, I have certain
>> features in my mind that I want it to be able to support.  I'd
>> appreciate to get recommendation of some that you know can do what I want.
>
> If it must do it just like you said you're probably going to get pushed
> to one of the more advanced CMS tools like Drupal (though there are
> others, I'll list a few below.
>
> In Drupal, you do most of the work with contributed modules. For
> example, a wysiwyg is not included in Drupal 6, you have to add the
> tinymce and wysiwyg api modules. It is a pain in the butt. However, the
> beauty is you can use the views module to create very advanced pages
> that mix your static and dynamic content.
>
> Here are some others to look at:
>
>   * Silver stripe CMS http://www.silverstripe.com/
>   * Concrete 5 http://www.concrete5.org/
>   * Typo 3 http://www.typo3.com/
>
> However, if you can make wordpress work for your needs by possibly
> changing some of your requirements, it is a truly exceptional tool that
> makes life easy. The Blog features in many of the other systems are not
> as good as wordpress. And you may be able to find a ready-made function
> that modifies the "loop" (http://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop) to do
> what you want.
>
> There is a drupal user's group in Ames at groups that has a message
> board at http://groups.drupal.org/iowa and people there are usually very
> helpful. If you want to pursue the drupal thing, definitely take
> advantage of it.
>
> Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the encouraging words to stick with Wordpress.  I found the
Pages Post plug-in and with it it seems I'm able to do what I wanted.
I'm even surprised the Postgresql for Wordpress (PG4WP) plug-in performs
decently so I didn't have to install mysql (although I might still do it).

   Claus