[Cialug] 1GHz Athlon, Linux Mint, poor video

Don Cady doncady at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 15:30:12 CDT 2010

> If your motheboard supports agp 4x or 8x then you should be fine
>
> Someone on the list please correct me where i"m wrong because it's
> been a bit too long since I've messed with this.

You're correct for the most part. Given the age (classic Athlon), AGP
4x is probably the upper end of what that board could do. It
_definitely_ depends on what that board will support.

I started a response to Kendall earlier, got sidetracked, now the
thread's moved past... Anyway, bits I had gotten down;
1. You might have better luck with the Flash 9 player, although you'll have to
check if they are still updating it with security patches or not.
2. Can you play video in other formats with MPlayer, VLC, etc., smoothly?
3. ~rant on flash on linux~
4. the 6326 is older than that Athlon classic. It started selling in
'97, right after the original AMD K6. It's not just age. It was
intended as a cheap only-show-a-static-2D-desktop product. It never
had full OpenGL support, even in '97 on windows. Any ATI, Matrox,
Nvidia, 3DLabs cards (that weren't also intended as cheap 2D products)
from that era should beat that. I've got a stack of cards from then
that you can try that *might* work, but you should jump a generation
or 2 and be sure. A Geforce 2 should be plenty. You should be able to
get a card from '98-'04 for $0-20. The 6200 will be overkill, but of
course you can still get it as long as it works on that mainboard.
5. Since this is on 12-13 yr old hardware, you might want to consider
the fluxbox, xfce, or lxde versions of Mint.

Don