[Cialug] migrating from ubuntu server to debian

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Mar 23 21:43:50 CDT 2010

Hi, I have a server running Ubuntu 9.04 server. I'm trying to run
software that's not well supported in Ubuntu but is well supported in
Debian. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for switching.

There's a catch - I have no physical access to the server. :-/

I'm doing a test now in virtualbox but if anyone has any experience
I'd appreciate it. The ideas that come to mind are:

1. use dist-upgrade after changing the sources.list to point to debian
2. try to trigger the installer from a mounted ISO

I'm OK with either option. I have a 90GB filesystem on a 500GB drive
using LVM. Does that give anyone any ideas?

By the way, the software I'm trying to run is xen or openvz or
something similar that allows virtualization w/out hvm. Ubuntu has
embraced kvm whole hog and as far as I know it only seems to work well
if you have hardware virtualization support.

--
Matthew Nuzum