[Cialug] 1GHz Athlon, Linux Mint, poor video

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Mar 23 14:24:53 CDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Kendall Bailey <krbailey at gmail.com> wrote:
> So will any AGP card work?  Would something like this be an option?
> http://desmoines.craigslist.org/sys/1637841718.html
>
> I've never upgraded a video card before, so excuse my ignorance...

That card will work with Linux fine. The question is will it work with
your PC. Look at the connector on the card in the picture and also the
connector on your motherboard. Make sure they look like they line up.
There were a few different agp standards and the incompatible ones *I
believe* had slightly different positions of the edge connectors. I.e.
the small one was in the front instead of the back or something like
that. Also note that there is an edge connector at the back that is
green and is shaped like a hook. I think it was related to the later
models.

If your motheboard supports agp 4x or 8x then you should be fine

Someone on the list please correct me where i"m wrong because it's
been a bit too long since I've messed with this.

Oh, here's a good comparison:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port#Compatibility

That will help you decide if it fits your computer or not.

--
Matthew Nuzum