[Cialug] media center

jrnosee at gmail.com jrnosee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 13:48:45 CDT 2010

Also Silicon Dust has announced an HDHomerun with CableCard Support.  If you
can't live without Digital or HD TV that may be an excellent way to get it.

I'm looking at this as an option as well.  The previous HDHomeruns
supposidly worked great with MythTV.  Does anyone know if DRM'd pay cable HD
shows requiring the cable card would be playable in linux?  I know right now
there's no CC support, but if HDHr decodes the shows and then streams
them....  Since I have an xbox360 and a Win7 PC and live at least partially
in a MS world this is looking like a best option for me.  Granted I'll
probably store shows to my Ubuntu Samba server, so I'll have to get
MS/XBOX/Ubuntu to play nice.  I'll probably set up one other box as a basic
MythTV to also have access and compare that to Win7/X360.

To archive DVDs may require 3rd party software to get around the encryption
and a more powerful mythtv front end for playback.

Not to mention tons of disk space.  I'd love to archive my DVD's but for now
I'd be happy to take all my old DivX encoded CD's and get them re-encoded to
a newer DivX codec as what I have now won't play on XBox360.

I'm interested to see what people say on this too.  I'm tired of my TiVO
because I've had a HDTV for over two years now, but I rarely watch any HDTV
because I have a SD TiVO and never watch anything live.