[Cialug] media center

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Tue Mar 16 13:11:30 CDT 2010

The new DRM techniques and other quasi limitations like digital television and cable-card make whole house systems like you want either legally challenging or very expensive.

However,  I use MythTV  (knoppmyth) and along with some DVD-archiving hacks I've been pretty happy with it.  Also Silicon Dust has announced an HDHomerun with CableCard Support.  If you can't live without Digital or HD TV that may be an excellent way to get it.

I run a very basic Mythtv box with a large hard drive and 3 NTSC tuners hooked to analog cable.  I use an old shuttle box and some Hauppauge mediaMPVs with the open source firmware to access tv programs from other televisions in the house.  To archive DVDs may require 3rd party software to get around the encryption and a more powerful mythtv front end for playback.   There are some really cool hooks into MythTv and you could easily waste your life configuring everything.  For my part, the best things about MythTv is the commercial skipping ability, and the ability to decrease playback times by increasing the speed the program plays.

My family uses a Tivo and it has really come a long way with what it can do, the next generation looks even more feature-full.  I like Tivo for Video on Demand from Blockbuster and Amazon.  I have an associate who thinks the Roku set-top box for movies is one of the best commercial electronics products yet.  But then he also bought Windows Media Center.

The time for TV-over-IP is nearly here, where you no longer need Cable, Dish, or over-the-air to watch what you want and pay per program.

-Nate