[Cialug] media center

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Mar 16 14:18:21 CDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM, <jrnosee at gmail.com> wrote:

> To archive DVDs may require 3rd party software to get around the encryption
> and a more powerful mythtv front end for playback.
>
> Not to mention tons of disk space.  I'd love to archive my DVD's but for
> now I'd be happy to take all my old DivX encoded CD's and get them
> re-encoded to a newer DivX codec as what I have now won't play on XBox360.

Not too bad imho. A 3TB array costs $225 and can hold well over 300 DVDs.
And actually, I encode mine into the format used by iPod touch which gets a
movie like Lord of the Rings to about 1GB and a full-length animated movie
(which would encompass the bulk of my DVD collection) to about 300MB. The
quality is good and as an added benefit you don't have to watch trailers or
navigate through menus to start watching it. And this format seems to play
on everything I own (cell phone, ipod, ubuntu, and any computer w/ quick
time).

--
Matthew Nuzum