[Cialug] Burned out power supply

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Mar 1 12:34:39 CST 2010

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Matthew Nuzum wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 12:01 PM, <murraymckee at wellsfargo.com> wrote:
>

> > What can I do to prevent the power supply from burning out again?
> >

> Some things that lower the life of a power supply:
>
>  1. heat build up from dust

That's a biggie, ..

>  2. poor power - since investing in a good power strip (> $25) I've not lost
> a single power supply

*BUT* realize that a 'power strip' provides absolutely **NO PROTECTION**
from power problems!!! It does nothing in the event of a power outage, ..
nothing in the event of a low-voltage condition, .. nothing in the event
of an over-voltage problem.

All any outlet strip provides is a varisistor that will attempt to
shunt a lightening strike to the connected ground (if it is of
sufficiently low impedence).

If your place is in a lightening-risky area (i.e. high ground, no
surrounding tall trees), you're far better off with a whole-house
protection device.

>  4. poor electrical system in your house - do you have a ground fault?

Unless you do have a good quality [i.e. low impedence] earth ground
connected to your power strip, there is absolutely no protection whatsoever.

> An inexpensive UPS may help you if the power quality in your area is poor.

A UPS is required to provide any *power* protection - remember, it is it
NOT a UPS, you have no protection whatsoever except for minimal lightening
protecting, *IF* you have a good quality ground connected.

Check out eBay or a local used computer store - you can get a small APC
UPS for $10-$15, put in a $20 battery and be set for years.

We took a nearby lightening hit here a few years ago, .. it fried the air
conditioner unit outside, and the card in the T1CSU/DSU outside, but
nothing was affected inside.

Power protection is provided by:

1) An isolation transformer for power to your computers (if you have
enough to make it worthwhile);

2) A good quality earch ground near your computers, with a separate,
isolated ground circuit for any equipment outlets;

3) An UPS with sufficient battery to provide power for at least 20-30
minutes for systems, monitors, and other equipment.

A UPS is the only way to provide *power* protection; power strips only
provide protection against lightening strikes, and that is only usable if
they are connected to a good earth ground.

	HTH,

	Lee