[Cialug] Burned out power supply

murraymckee at wellsfargo.com murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
Mon Mar 1 14:37:49 CST 2010

 1. heat build up from dust
Shouldn't have been a problem this time.
 2. poor power - since investing in a good power strip (> $25) I've not lost a single power supply
            Shouldn't have been a problem this time.
 3. exceeding its capacity (probably not an issue in your case but do note that a cpu and mother board can exceed 100 watts w/ other no devices)
Even being generous with other uses I'm probably not over 200 watts, or half the supply's rated capacity.
 4. poor electrical system in your house - do you have a ground fault?
I am on 'new' wiring in the house.  The original was two wired, but the new plugs to the new circuit breaker boxes are 3 wired.  I use one of those 3 LED plug testers to tell me the plug is properly wired as a confirmation that it was installed correctly.  This plug, as most of my new ones, run wires all the way back to the power box in the attic or basement.  There is a wire into the ground at the pole about 15 yards outside the house where the yard light is and another on the transformer pole about 50 yards from that, but I don't remember any on the outside of the house, but I haven't been looking for any recently either.
 5. poor quality supplies (maybe the leading cause of failure in places where power quality isn't an issue)
We do loose power every once in a while, (2 or 3 times a year on the average I'd guess) but nothing else (TV, VCR, microwave, portable phones, radios, stereo, etc.) is affected (burns out) over a much longer period of time.  Neither is the printer, which is on the same circuit as the computer.  The printer goes into low power standby mode but is not shut off.  It's been a long time, several years, since I've observed the lights dimming, but it's not unheard of.  However, I'm not in the house paying attention 24 X 7 either.

Murray McKee
Operating Systems Engineer
WFFIS - Wells Fargo Financial Information Systems
800 Walnut Street
MAC F4030-037
Des Moines, IA 50309-3605
WORK (515)557-6127 Cell (NEW) (515) 343-6630  FAX (515) 557-6046
MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com
"This message may contain confidential and / or privileged information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation."