[Cialug] Burned out power supply

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Mar 1 12:13:49 CST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 12:01 PM, <murraymckee at wellsfargo.com> wrote:

> What can I do to prevent the power supply from burning out again?

Some things that lower the life of a power supply:

 1. heat build up from dust
 2. poor power - since investing in a good power strip (> $25) I've not lost
a single power supply
 3. exceeding it's capacity (probably not an issue in your case but do note
that a cpu and mother board can exceed 100 watts w/ other no devices)
 4. poor electrical system in your house - do you have a ground fault?
 5. poor quality supplies (maybe the leading cause of failure in places
where power quality isn't an issue)

These are in no particular order.

An inexpensive UPS may help you if the power quality in your area is poor.
Get a name-brand but an entry level one. Look for one that has a guarantee
against your equipment getting damaged by lightening. Sometimes they say
somthing like $15,000 guarantee your equipment is protected.

--
Matthew Nuzum