[Cialug] Windoze -> Linux VPN

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Thu Jun 10 16:33:26 CDT 2010

On Jun 10, 2010, at 4:26 PM, Nathan C. Smith wrote:

> What kinds of things do you find UDP necessary for?

SIP, for one thing. That's one the major reasons I want to be on the VPN -- both the secure my calls and to put my on the same network as devices that assume direct connectivity between endpoints (i.e. a videoconference setup without a dedicated gateway/repeater).

TCP over TCP is no fun either when you start dropping packets.

> The questions was: "What's the simplest way..."  I didn't read a whole lot of other requirements into that.  IPSEC often has problems in places like hotels that use the same 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x lan you might use in your office.  That has caused problems for me before.

It really shouldn't, unless you need to access other things on the local hotel network. My typical setup includes a /32 route to the local Internet gateway, static route(s) for the VPN network, and then your choice of default routes via the VPN or local Internet gateway. Then the only device on the local network that can conflict is the Internet gateway, and it can conflict with at most one host in the VPN network.

And I'm not sure how not using IPSec would solve that problem anyway -- if there are address conflicts the interconnection method isn't going to make any difference.

	Zach