[Cialug] OT: cheap CFL bulbs

Matt Breitbach matthewb at flash.shanje.com
Thu Jun 3 10:46:29 CDT 2010

Well, some people aren't going to like this, but I say stick with standard
incandescents.  I use CFL's all over in my house, and after 4 years, I'm
happy to say that I've only had about 5 bulbs fail.  With that being said,
it's always a nightmare to get rid of them after they do.  So much so that I
still have 5 bulbs sitting in a box waiting for disposal since they contain
hazardous materials.  I'm wondering how good all of this low power usage is
if the bulbs themselves can't go into a proper landfill.  I also wonder how
many people do just throw them in the trash without even thinking and are
polluting our landfills with mercury.

  _____