[Cialug] OT: cheap CFL bulbs

David Bierce david at bierce.org
Thu Jun 3 11:21:19 CDT 2010

To elaborate on a few of the comment a little further, based on my experience.

If there is too much light for you, half the number of of active bulbs.  It might look ugly, but it work.  Globe/specialty bulbs are usually expensive anyway compared to normal bulbs.  I haven't seen the Globe type in anything other than LED at the local stores.  It'd go LED, or keep the incandescence for the bathroom.  Usually the color of CFL lights combined with the "it takes forever to warm up" makes wifes angry for bathroom usage.

Also, Do not put CFL in an enclosed light fixture, it cuts their life half as the heat eventually breaks the ballast, resulting in a dead bulb.  This isn't universally true, but if it is a long running bulb like in a kitchen or office space, the heat builds up and has no where to go.