[Cialug] tracking you w/out cookies or IP

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Jan 29 15:28:30 CST 2010

By taking the user agent string, plugin details and font
configuration, a website can create a unique identity string that
picks me out from among many other browsers. I went to the EFF's test
page[1] and it said:

> Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 238,487 tested so far.
> Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 17.86 bits of identifying information.

[1] http://panopticlick.eff.org/

This has been going around twitter, often linking to
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/01/27/1638216/Tracking-Browsers-Without-Cookies-Or-IP-Addresses

The eff website has suggestions for defending.
--
Matthew Nuzum