[Cialug] Android ebook

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Jan 29 12:42:46 CST 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Kendall Bailey <kendall at baileyplex.com> wrote:
> There's plenty of hype about the iPad, but I got more excited when I saw
> this:
>
> http://entourageedge.com/devices/entourage-edge.html
>
> I have no experience with Android.  Can anyone advise how close to full
> browser experience it would be on such a device?  I guess I need find some
> reviews of this device.

That is interesting. Regarding android browser, there are variations
by device. They're all based on the webkit rendering engine, just like
Safari and Chrome. The "Google experience" editions don't support
multi-touch, some other browsers (like my HTC Hero) do.

With Amazon, Sony, Barnes & Noble and Apple (and others0 all aiming
heavily for the ebook race I'm expecting a lot of shake up. In my mind
it's kind of like Bluray vs. HD DVD, where some studious supported one
format and other studios the other format.

It seems to me that Amazon is the clear leader at the moment (for
number of titles), but I'll be interested to see what happens when B&N
and Apple join in.

--
Matthew Nuzum