[Cialug] Argh/Microsoft/Argh

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 14:01:21 CST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Colin Burnett <cmlburnett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you hold down shift it will delete it (but it still prompts): no recycle bin.
>
> Yes, but do I have to think about that?  It seems like if I take the
> step of becoming a system administrator that I take on this
> responsibility.  There are any number of better and more efficient
> ways that this could be implemented.

My experience (ugh) is that when you copy/cut/paste files, what
windows does is put the full file paths into the clipboard.  If you
copy/paste files with long file paths it takes longer to perform the
initial "thinking" part (by that I'm not talking about the literal
data moving time); and the more files you do the longer it takes.  For
example, if you ^C^V 10000 files that are 8 folders deep it will take
longer than if you ^C^V the directory those files are in.

I suspect it is similar for "deleting".

Colin