[Cialug] Robert Half and/or local consulting company experiences.

Jeff Davis me at digitaljeff.com
Sun Jan 17 23:30:56 CST 2010

Having previously worked for a job board, you should keep in
mind that just because some recruiter posts a job, doesn't actually
mean they have one to fill.
Keep an eye out if some agency appears to have a bunch of jobs
available when no one else does.  Sure they might have some
exclusive deal with a company, but probably not.

If you get sent on an interview, take copies of your resume.
Since pretty much every recruiter wants your resume in Word
format (most will just remove your name and add their letterhead)
you never know if they altered something in your skill set.
I have always taken several copies to ensure that at least what I'm
presenting the potential employer is correct.  If you've been
misrepresented it is a waste of your and the employers time, and I'd
stop dealing with that recruiter.  A good one will take the time to
review your resume with you and suggest changes or refer you to
a service if needed.

One of the most personally annoying things I've run across is
contacting a recruiter about a job and they ask me to come to
their office.  When I arrive at the office, someone shoves a stack
of paperwork at me, including an I-9 and W-4 and demands my
drivers license and social security card so they can make a photocopy.
I don't even know who the potential employer is yet, let alone if I
want the job.  The potential employer probably hasn't even seen my
resume yet.  I understand why they do business that way but I don't
like to give out my info that easily, and there is a fleeting sense of
being
herded into a cattle car.

While neither have ever placed me I've had nothing but
positive experiences with both Paragon and Palmer Group.

-Jeff