[Cialug] Robert Half and/or local consulting company experiences.

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Sun Jan 17 22:03:06 CST 2010

I used Key Employment once.  I wasn't happy.  They made it sound like they
had to fight for the salary they got me.  I was naive then, I didn't realize
I was severely underpaid.  And they had to fight to get that?  Wow...

I've used other services too, I used Octagon, and they placed me at Norwest
Mortgage.  It went well, but I had initially looked at them for a contract
job.  They didn't want to put me in a contract job, so they placed me in a
permanent job.  I tried another service too, and wasn't happy with them.
They pushed me to go to an interview at Omaha, even though I didn't want to
go.  I wanted to leave the Quad Cities to move back to Des Moines.  So why
would I want to move to another city?  When I said I wasn't interested, she
didn't do any more searching for me.

Then there was the Cap Gemini debacle.  They told me I had the job.  But
they said I had to go meet with the client.  I was shocked when I went into
the "meeting" and got an "interview".  I did not get the job.

I had made some contact with Robert Half a long time ago, but they never
seemed to do any searching for me.  Of course, they've tried to contact me
since, but I'm not sure that I'm interested.

So yeah, I've had better luck finding jobs on my own.

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 1:24 AM, Tim Champion <timchampion at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I've worked through Robert half for 2 gigs. It wasn't bad at all. They
> saved
> > by butt when I needed something quickly. They worked very hard and fast
> > find something for me. That gig turned out to be a 6 month contract. That
> > employer hired me at the end of the contract, and I'm still there.
>
> For me, I was impressed that Robert Half was able to get me a job
> that, frankly, I don't think my resume supported, though I had the
> skills.  But once I was in I was able to show my stuff, and after half
> a year I got hired on full time.
>
> They were always easy to deal with, and I never had problems talking
> to someone there if I had a question or problem.  They gave me helpful
> advice when I applied at the job and sent me a congratulations card
> when I got hired.  They were everything I needed.
>
> My wife also worked through Robert Half for two consecutive jobs, and
> she loved it.  She was hired on at the second one.
>
> I've not had experience with other recruiters in central Iowa.  But
> definitely don't rule out Robert Half.
>
> --
> Todd

Tim