[Cialug] Linux in Universities

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 16:36:29 CST 2010

I attended a "Transfer Visit Day" at ISU today.  Basically they just
gave us a campus tour, did some rah-rah ISU talk, showed us housing,
fed us lunch.

For about an hour the three prospective CS majors (out of the 200
attending!) visited with two CS department advisers and asked
questions.  One of the women mentioned that they give career-oriented
seminars to seniors.  Representatives from some companies will come in
and talk about whatever topic.  She said that lately some of the reps
have been telling the CS department that they want to see more
graduates with Linux experience.  I asked her who and she said
Cargill, Sun, and one of the Thomson companies.  (Thomson Reuters I
think.)  The adviser said they teach plenty of Unix, but these reps
were saying they wanted Linux, specifically.

This is good news!

I also learned that the number of students going into CS is dropping
nationwide.  == more money for the rest of us.

--
Todd