[Cialug] Job Posting - Linux Admin

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Thu Feb 25 11:47:33 CST 2010

On 2/25/2010 11:21 AM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> I think there's a mind-set that they want to get the cheapest they can
> manage. Maybe they're willing to pay $75-85k but they think/hope/wish
> someone who wants $45k would apply.
>
> I can't fault them for that.

I think it would be in their own self interest to weed out candidates
that are expecting a higher salary. Do they really think they can trick
a candidate that will only accept a $80k into accepting $60k? I also
don't know if I would want to work for a company where they don't pay
their employees a fair wage.

On a somewhat related note, two employees may have the same position but
one is 10x more productive than the other yet they receive the same
salary. ( http://bit.ly/cTUesu ) I'm not blaming the employers for this
because unlike sales positions where there is an easy way to measure
performance, there aren't any good metrics for how good a sysadmin or
programmer is.

Eric