[Cialug] Job Posting - Linux Admin

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Feb 25 11:21:11 CST 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Eric Junker <eric at eric.nu> wrote:

> On 2/25/2010 10:36 AM, Corey Chandler wrote:
> > position.  I know two guys who'd perhaps be interested in this job--
> > one'd be thrilled to make $12 an hour (not me), and another who doesn't
> > roll out of bed for less than $150 an hour (also not me).  The latter is
> > likely to be rather irritated to go through an entire interview process,
> > only to discover that he's asking for twice what the job is willing to
> > pay, while the former is potentially going to find himself in WAY over
> > his head when they start expecting work quality that's way above his
> > current pay grade.
>
> Hear, hear. I couldn't agree more. I'm not expecting an exact salary but
> they should be able to narrow it down to a $10,000 - $20,000 salary range.

I think there's a mind-set that they want to get the cheapest they can
manage. Maybe they're willing to pay $75-85k but they think/hope/wish
someone who wants $45k would apply.

I can't fault them for that.

If anything can be faulted, it's that it takes so long to apply for jobs
online these days. A friend of mine is looking for work and it takes aprox
1.5 hours per job to apply through the web. Some of that is "gettign
started" time and if you had 8 hours to block off you might do 8 job
applications.

Part of me just knows that there's someone on the applicant side wishing it
were faster/easier and someone on the HR side who just prints them out and
wishes they could have a nicely formatted, easy to read version rather than
this stupid print-out where sometimes the lines get cut off through the
middle and it takes 4 pages which are mostly blank (not counting the one
that just has the web-pages footer in it).

--
Matthew Nuzum