[Cialug] a question

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 13:45:06 CDT 2010

One other thing to consider: build your test machines as VMs in VirtualBox.
Besides being convenient, you'll also gain proficiency in VBox (add to
resume). Consider installing vboxtool, allowing easier command line control
and automated startup/save of VMs. Comment out the ones you don't want to
start every time, and start them manually when you want.

I like the convenience because you can create/enable/disable multiple
machines of arbitrary configurations quickly. You can duplicate a machine by
exporting it and importing it. You can set up different network
configurations, change them, adjust them quickly. You can build an internal
network (two ways) or bridge them to your existing network.

Just be sure you have enough RAM to run as many machines as you want to try.
Still, it's much cheaper than having multiple hard machines,

--Don Ellis