[Cialug] a question

chris chris at ia.gov
Tue Aug 24 13:31:48 CDT 2010

On 08/24/10 11:52, j.bengtson at mchsi.com wrote:
> Another possibility is to set up a PC as a Linux server (pick your
> distro...or better yet, pick several distros and try them in turn) in
> your own home network.  Set up a web server and learn everything you can
> about it.  Set up a file server...print (CUPS) server...email
> server...DHCP server...firewall...learn them all.  Visit your local
> library to see if they have any books on the subjects you want to
> learn.  Visit several libraries until you find one with a decent tech
> section.  Don't forget about the ISU library, especially if you're an
> alum.  Try the Half-Price Book Store.  Amazon.com...oreilly.com...Visit
> IBM's Developerworks website (
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/views/linux/libraryview.jsp?type_by=Tutorials
> ).  Look for cheap equipment wherever you can...your employer...local
> businesses...or government surplus:
> http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.AdvSearch&timing1=&timing2=1&suid=IA

BIG +1 to this approach.  It is how I learned nearly everything that got me my first IT job.  A great thing to do in
addition to the links already posted (IBM Dev Works Rocks!) is to work your way through the interesting howtos here:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html

If you get stumped on any of them come see us on irc.freenode.net (arreyder) on #cialug and we'll help get you moving again.

crr
arreyder at apache.org