[Cialug] suggestions on HDD based backup

Tim Champion timchampion at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 13:25:56 CDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Eric Junker <eric at eric.nu> wrote:

> On 4/15/2010 11:27 AM, Tim Champion wrote:
> > We are planning on going to a hard drive based backup system at work. We
> > are a non-profit on a tight budget (I can spend about $1500 on this
> > total), so a enterprise level disk-to-disk system isn't feasible. The
>
> How many computers are you backing up? How much storage space do you need?
>
> If you want something that works right out of the box I would suggest
> something like the Drobo FS http://www.drobo.com/ You do pay a premium
> for the ease of use. Instead of swapping drives for off-site backup you
> could use a network based backup like Mozy http://mstorageozy.com<http://mozy.com>or manually
> backup to Amazon S3.
>
> If you want more of a traditional NAS device, I've heard good things
> about QNAP http://www.qnap.com/

I've looked into many of the online backup services. Our total backup need
right now is about 500GB, so the online services like mozy start getting
really expensive. Mozy charges 50 cents per GB per month, which would be
$250 per month. So, that pretty much rules that out.

We are already planning to do a site-to-site data sync between Marshalltown
& Ames, but that will be a live sync, and would not protect against
accidental deletion. We've all heard the horror stories of places using
mirroring or something like a live sync and then losing data anyway because
they did not have a "real" backup. The piece I'm specifically looking at is
the nightly backup so we have at least 2 weeks of history of our data.
Explaining it now, it now seems like overkill to take the nightly backup off
site since there will be a remote mirror of the data, but I'd rather be
over-prepared than under-prepared.

Tim Champion
timchampion at gmail.com