[Cialug] suggestions on HDD based backup

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Thu Apr 15 12:52:30 CDT 2010

On 4/15/2010 11:27 AM, Tim Champion wrote:
> We are planning on going to a hard drive based backup system at work. We
> are a non-profit on a tight budget (I can spend about $1500 on this
> total), so a enterprise level disk-to-disk system isn't feasible. The

How many computers are you backing up? How much storage space do you need?

If you want something that works right out of the box I would suggest
something like the Drobo FS http://www.drobo.com/ You do pay a premium
for the ease of use. Instead of swapping drives for off-site backup you
could use a network based backup like Mozy http://mozy.com or manually
backup to Amazon S3.

If you want more of a traditional NAS device, I've heard good things
about QNAP http://www.qnap.com/

Eric