[Cialug] suggestions on HDD based backup

Josh More MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Apr 15 13:27:34 CDT 2010

 And right here is the point of concern:

"Explaining it now, it now seems like overkill to take the nightly backup off site since there will be a remote mirror of the data, but I'd rather be over-prepared than under-prepared."

Yes, it is better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.  However, by requiring the off-site component to be a movable hard drive, you are drastically limiting your options.  If you split up the requirements:

1) Ability to restore to "point in time" where POT is a nightly backup stored for two weeks.
2) Ability to store backup sets offsite

You can put in a backup server or NAS that stores multiple backup sets and then mirror these sets off site.  If you like, you can also mirror these to a USB/SATA drive and pull that offsite occasionally... but the former alone would meet the criteria.

It is worth noting that NO backup solution will be admin-free.  You cannot rely on the system to notify you in case of failure, as a failure could also fail to send the notifications.  The NAS issue mentioned earlier in this thread would have been resolved if someone had checked for success on a daily basis.  Most other mirroring / backup set issues can be caught by spending 5m a day making sure it's working OK.

-Josh More, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, GIAC-GCIH, RHCE, NCLP
morej at alliancetechnologies.net<mailto:morej at alliancetechnologies.net>
515-245-7701