[Cialug] No new OS for original iPhone

Bryan Baker ka_klick at mac.com
Thu Apr 15 12:02:24 CDT 2010

Correct. Original iPhone will be 3 when the new OS is released. The 3G
will be able to run the new OS, but not use all the features (esp
multitasking) mainly because the RAM in anything older is 1/2 what the
current GS has. THere is no swap, so it all has to stay in RAM.

I have a 3G and will probably pick up whatever the new hotness is when
my contract is up in July.

iPods always charge for big (feature adding) upgrades because they
follow accounting rules that say they have to (on non-subscription
items). THis may be changing, since I believe they did some re-
jiggering lately.