[Cialug] No new OS for original iPhone

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Wed Apr 14 11:06:50 CDT 2010

It's been 3 years.  The 3GS came out last summer, the 3G the summer before,
and the original the summer before that.

This shouldn't be a shock.  Apple did something similar in that you had to
pay for v2.0 and v3.0 for the iPod Touch.  I'm sure those users were shocked
since they were used to getting free upgrades.  And as I recall, there were
features in both major versions that were not made available for the
original iPhone.  Some may have been technological reasons (no GPS), but I
don't think they all were.

But if you do have an original iPhone, you should already have experienced
some of this.  If you like to have cases on your phones, good luck getting a
case for an original iPhone.  Even before the 3G came out, we had a hard
time getting a case since everyone was gearing up for the new size and shape
of the 3G.

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com>wrote:

> http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/60034?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_am_2010-04-14
>
> From this I wonder: can extrapolate each iPhone will have about a two year
> life span before being End-of-lifed?  Will things get complicated once apps
> are available for iPhone 3 or iPhone 4, will they continue to allow apps for
> the older OS to be sold?
>
> -Nate

Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/