[Cialug] No new OS for original iPhone

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Wed Apr 14 11:00:17 CDT 2010

As an iPhone 3G owner, I've wondered about this.  The typical cycle for me
though is a new phone every 2 years, as long as it's subsidized by the
carrier.  In my case, AT&T covered over 50% of the cost of the phone...
but my wife's phone was not covered this way.  I used to have
Blackberry's, and I've had this problem for years.  For example, I'd go
out and buy a BB on the Sprint network.  It seemed like not even a year
later, Sprint had abandoned my phone and stopped releasing updated
software.  It was frustrating, so I was excited about the prospect of a
3rd party putting out updates directly for the phone when I heard about
the iPhone.  Now I don't have to wait for a carrier to release it.  That's
the reason I don't have an android based phone - I don't want to wait on a
carrier again for a release. If I understand correctly, the Nexus One is
only updated by Google, so that phone might be a better option.

I have to be skeptical though, and I would guess Apple will still release
security fixes for iPhone OS 3.1.X for the next year or so.  Now that the
phone is a mini-computer, I don't see how they can avoid this.