[Cialug] InstallFest 2010?

TJ Vance tj at vancecoffman.com
Sun Nov 22 10:41:38 CST 2009

What about changing the venue and using it more as an install fest?  I don't
think there will be many laptops at the fair and it is pretty expensive for
the LUG budget.  I think some of us consultants could be swayed into handing
out pamphlets (I get requests from clients for their parent's home machines,
etc.)  Just looking through my contacts list I'm seeing at least a few dozen
people that just need to know the time and place.

I do like the idea of talking up the netbook speedup.  There's another angle
for those 3-5 year old desktops that are dragging with vista/xp/spyware on
them... I threw ubuntu on a machine for a client's wife who just does ebay,
and they won't stop praising the new setup.

Another idea for recruitment would be to have an arsenal of our old desktops
pre-loaded and ready to go out the door, possibly for free but if not VERY
cheaply/raffle... I know VanceCoffman has several to unload and I could
easily come up with ten more or so inside of a week if I knew they'd have a
new home.

MY state fair schwag bags usually just get tossed unless I'm low on pencils
and David Letterman fans.

Cheers
TJ
(sent from android)