[Cialug] Replacing a Palm

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Nov 19 22:48:23 CST 2009

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Matthew Nuzum wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:40 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
>
> > Solution: Web Services - TJ described a pretty slick business environment
> > with SugarCRM, which might bear investigating, .. but would require 'Net
> > access for use [as opposed to a Palm].
>
> The new palms are going to be tied to a data plan. You're not going to
> get one w/out data in some way.

The data plan *itself* is workable, but not being to synchrnize data with
a local machine is not.

> The Palm Pre comes with an emulated environment that lets you run and
> use all your old palm apps. It's a 14 day free trial and I think the
> app costs about $30 and it basically gives you an environment exactly
> like the previous generation palm platforms.

The emulatioh environment is fine for individual apps, .. but not for the
basic synchronization - you would have to do that yourself, if I
understand the emulator correctly.

> > What other options should be considered? THe Nokia N900 is pretty big
> > and bulky - I'd almost rather carry a Netbook than that; I'm almost
> > thinking that a Netbook/Fliphone would be workable?
>
> Consider migrating your data from your palm desktop into something
> that is standard and other apps can pull from. Google
> contacts/calendar/gmail is supported by webos and android and probably
> to some extent on everything else.

Won't be 'Cloud', ..

> Just about everything supports connecting to exchange in some way.
> Several systems support synchronizing with Outlook.

and won't justify either of those with a comment <g>, ..

> A few can also talk to LDAP.

however, that one is interesting! Never looked LDAP as anything other than
an authentication store - does anyone have any more perspective?

	TFTR!

	Lee