[Cialug] Replacing a Palm

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Nov 19 20:40:02 CST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:40 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> Problem: I have 10+ years of calendar & contacts in a Palm environment, ..
> which, I'm sure everyone knows, is dead h/w. In migrating to a new
> environbment, it would be nice to have ssh as one way to 'justify' the
> investment. Current contract with Verizon, which seems like the best
> coverage for our use.

> Solution: Web Services - TJ described a pretty slick business environment
> with SugarCRM, which might bear investigating, .. but would require 'Net
> access for use [as opposed to a Palm].

The new palms are going to be tied to a data plan. You're not going to
get one w/out data in some way.

The Palm Pre comes with an emulated environment that lets you run and
use all your old palm apps. It's a 14 day free trial and I think the
app costs about $30 and it basically gives you an environment exactly
like the previous generation palm platforms.

> What other options should be considered? THe Nokia N900 is pretty big
> and bulky - I'd almost rather carry a Netbook than that; I'm almost
> thinking that a Netbook/Fliphone would be workable?

Consider migrating your data from your palm desktop into something
that is standard and other apps can pull from. Google
contacts/calendar/gmail is supported by webos and android and probably
to some extent on everything else. Just about everything supports
connecting to exchange in some way. Several systems support
synchronizing with Outlook. A few can also talk to LDAP.

The one consolation about relying on the cloud for your data is that
if it goes down you have some kind of SLA and therefore recompense if
it's unavilable. If you host your own storage and it goes down the
only one you can blame is yourself. :-)

Regarding SSH, I have an SSH app on my android (connectbot). Works fine.
--
Matthew Nuzum