[Cialug] Windows 7 Hotcakes

Nick Fox nfox at foxmediasystems.com
Wed Nov 11 22:19:43 CST 2009

Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I gave up trying to get .wmv files to play on my centos 5 x64 machine.
>>> I've got actual work to get done, I don't have time to screw around with
>>> it, I'm actually money ahead to just put a windows 7 laptop on my desk
>>> next to my Linux machine.
>>>
>> You're money ahead.  But I hold out hope that that kind of BS will put
>> an enterprising Linux company money ahead by fixing it.
>>

> It's funny you mention that...
>
> I happen to know that there are companies trying to do this. They're
> making progress, but it's harder than you think.
>
> Furthermore, there is a war in our community. It's the blessing/curse
> of open source software. If you truly and deeply embrace open source
> fundamentals, the open source community will work with you (but even
> then they still fight and complain and argue and be mean to you
> sometimes). However, the commercial ISV market will shun you or at
> least remain distant.
>
> If you embrace the commercial ISV market then distant is the nicest
> way to describe what your relationship with the OSS community of
> developers who you rely on will be like.
>
> It's a hard gap to bridge.
>
> I have an opinion that before we can make Linux palatable for users we
> need to make it easier for developers, both oss and proprietary.
> Visual Studio does a good job of this on the Windows platform and MS
> has always coddled developers and I think it's paid. You can certainly
> develop software w/ Linux but there is nothing at all like the
> combination of VS and MSDN.

Interesting you point this out Matthew. (Yes I know this is old, but I
am behind on my email again)

I wrote a series of blog posts about this very topic and had an
interesting debate on the subject. Might be something you guys are
intrested in reading.

http://www.rubmyubuntu.com/LinuxSoftwareBusiness
http://www.rubmyubuntu.com/LinuxSoftwareBusiness/Part2
http://www.rubmyubuntu.com/LinuxSoftwareBusiness/Part3