[Cialug] Windows 7 Hotcakes

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sun Nov 8 08:04:49 CST 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I gave up trying to get .wmv files to play on my centos 5 x64 machine.
>> I've got actual work to get done, I don't have time to screw around with
>> it, I'm actually money ahead to just put a windows 7 laptop on my desk
>> next to my Linux machine.
>
> You're money ahead.  But I hold out hope that that kind of BS will put
> an enterprising Linux company money ahead by fixing it.

It's funny you mention that...

I happen to know that there are companies trying to do this. They're
making progress, but it's harder than you think.

Furthermore, there is a war in our community. It's the blessing/curse
of open source software. If you truly and deeply embrace open source
fundamentals, the open source community will work with you (but even
then they still fight and complain and argue and be mean to you
sometimes). However, the commercial ISV market will shun you or at
least remain distant.

If you embrace the commercial ISV market then distant is the nicest
way to describe what your relationship with the OSS community of
developers who you rely on will be like.

It's a hard gap to bridge.

I have an opinion that before we can make Linux palatable for users we
need to make it easier for developers, both oss and proprietary.
Visual Studio does a good job of this on the Windows platform and MS
has always coddled developers and I think it's paid. You can certainly
develop software w/ Linux but there is nothing at all like the
combination of VS and MSDN.
--
Matthew Nuzum